Alderwood was founded in 2000 after the need was identified for bespoke, integrated programmes of care and education, delivered within a small ‘family’ home setting.
Alderwood’s philosophy is based on the TEACCH programme first developed by the University of North Carolina, USA.
Alderwood aims to
- Provide specialist residential care and support for young people and adults with complex ASD
- Provide a highly structured teaching approach using the Alderwood Visual Communication System for all aspects of the client’s life
- Support individual residents in small units (eight residential homes) which are tailor-made for the specific client
- Offer highly structured support for 52 weeks per year
- Offer high staffing ratios at all times in order to support the specific needs of each individual resident
- Value all individuals through positive relationships
- Provide continuing education for all ages and abilities Respect the rights and dignity of all residents and maintain a positive outlook to the potential of each individual.