Alderwood provides training on a variety of topics within the Professional Development Centre as well as off-site training as part of the Alderwood consultancy services.
Alderwood’s on-site training venue is situated on South Lodge Farm, Northampton. It is set among open farm land overlooking the Nene valley, seven miles east of Northampton town centre. It is easily accessed from the M1 (Junction 15) and the A45. Click here for directions.
Alderwood Training Courses
The Professional Development Centre on South Lodge Farm provides excellent training facilities for all of our staff. We offer such wide range of courses in order to equip our staff with specialist knowledge to work with our residents, the PDC is a fantastic venue for the development of its carers.
Headed by Anita Smart, we place an enormous emphasis on staff development, therefore training is an ongoing process and as a result we have been accredited with Investors in People since 2004.
Compulsory for all staff working with our young people within Alderwood. This course is typically run over 2 days whereby participants undergo written and practical assessment, demonstrating both knowledge and implementation of holistic, proactive techniques in managing challenging behaviours. All staff are re assessed on an annual basis to maintain the highest possible standards. Staff are fully licensed in PROACT-SCIPr-UK® and Alderwood boasts 8 fully qualified PROACT-SCIPr-UK® trainers and Anita Smart CMgr FCMI as a principal instructor.
How we Implement Structure at Alderwood
Because our Visual Communication System plays such an integral part of the Alderwood ethos, our Implementation of Structure programme is one which has been developed to an advanced level for all its carers overseen by Anita Smart, Managing Director (CMgr FCMI) and Linda Fish, Operations Director and Head of Services, all staff are expected to complete this course to an introductory level and then to an advanced level with ongoing coaching throughout the whole of their career with Alderwood.
We see induction as an ideal opportunity to gradually grow our workforce from day one. Our extensive main induction programme equips our carers with all the knowledge they need for working with our service users. Spread over a number of sessions, staff gain specialist insight into Autism, Behaviour, Teamwork, Care Principles, Health and Safety and Understanding the Role of the Worker. In brief all of our staff receive full training on the common induction care standards for adults services.
Safeguarding and Protecting Vulnerable Adults
Our Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults training courses are an integral part of staff development. The course aims to educate staff on the different types of abuse that can happen within care and how to identify and respond in cases of negligence and abuse.
- Alderwood Induction – 5 days (Introduction to Alderwood, Role of the Careworker, Person Centred Care, Principles of Care, Health & Safety, Risk Assessment, BOC, Communication, Food Hygiene, MCA & DoLS)
- Waking Night Training
- Autism Awareness
- Low Arousal
- Safeguarding & Protecting Vulnerable Adults
- Alderwoods Visual Communication System
- Mentoring Booklets
- Fire Awareness
- Food Hygiene
- First Aid
- Childrens History
- Refresher Courses – (Fire Awareness, Medication, Epilepsy, Safeguarding, Food Hygiene, First Aid, PROACT-SCIPr-UK®
- Effective Shift Leader
- Alderwood Paperwork incorporating Report Writing
- Sensory Overload
- Equality & Diversity
- QCF Diploma in Health & Social Care – Level 2
- QCF Diploma in Health & Social Care – Level 3
- QCF Diploma in Leadership & Management in Residential Care – Level 5
- QCF Diploma in Strategic Management – Level 7
- QCF Diploma in Business Administration – Level 2 & 3
Continual professional development is vital for maintaining the knowledge of its staff and helping to improve practices throughout each staff member careers. We offer the following training as an enhancement to the basic courses named previously. These courses are dependant on the staff member’s job role and subject to successful completion of a 6 month probationary period.
All staff that choose to work at Alderwood will be expected to undertake a relevant Diploma within their field of work. We offer a wide range of vocational training courses to suit the needs of the organisation and the individual.
We work very closely with our training providers to ensure the Diploma is specific to the needs of the worker.
The qualifications we provide are:
- Diploma Level 2 in Adult Health & Social Care (all adult home units)
- Diploma Level 3 in Health & Social Care, Adults (Shift Leaders in all adult homes)
- Diploma Level 3 in Adult Health & Social Care
- Diploma level 5 Leadership for Health and Social Care (Adults) and Children and Young People’s Services
- Diploma Level 2 & 3 Business Administration
With tough targets for minimum expected staff qualification levels, Diplomas form an integral part of staff development and much time and effort is spent in helping our workforce to achieve these